Friday, January 6th, 2012 6:30 pm
Sviata Vechera is a traditional Ukrainian dinner eaten on Orthodox Christmas eve, January 6.Â Twelve meatless dishes areÂ made and shared by familiesÂ in festive dignity. Nomad’s version of the Christmas eve dinner is based on traditional dishes, but we have adapted preparations to suit our palates and available ingredients, just as Ukrainian emigrants do wherever they move in the world.
Michael Scorgie is the proprietorÂ of Nomad Mobile Diner.Â The NomadÂ food truck hit the streets of Edmonton in the summer of 2011, serving comfort staples like pulled pork, brisket, and sausages.Â Before opening Nomad, Mike studied culinary arts at NAIT and worked at Jack’s Grill.
Allan Suddaby is a cook and sausage-maker at Nomad.Â He studied culinary arts at NAIT and has worked at popular restaurants like Dadeo and Jack’s Grill. He recently returned from working inÂ Austria.Â He has a blog called Button Soup, where he writes about his unique ideas on local food.
- Kutia: wheat pudding, dried sour cherries
- Kolach: braided bread, honey, garlic
- Kapusniak: sauerkraut soup, heavy cream, rye bread
- Bib: baked beans, flax oil
- Smazheni doshchyvyky: puffball mushroom fritters, pickled onions
- Pisni holubtsi: cabbage rolls, wild rice, preserved tomato
- Borsch and vushka: beet soup, wild mushroom dumplings
- Oseledsi: pickled trout, carrots, dill
- Varenyky: perogies filled with cottage cheese, fried onions
- Chay: labrador tea, candied orange peel
- Kisiel: highbush cranberry soup
- Pampushky: raised doughnuts filled with rosehip jelly
NOTE: specific items on the menu may be subject to change dependent upon availability and will be replaced with something of equal value and appeal
The Cost and Information
$65 dollars per person which will include
Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org and
- put the name of this dinner and the date in the subject area of the message
- put your name and phone number in the text area of the message
- then I will send you the payment information!
- Once payment is received, I will send you my address and location information.
Thank you so very much!