This is A Canadian Foodie Original Creation!
I read a recipe at my dentist’s office that inspired this Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup and wondered how effectively my Thermomix could toast the spices. The answer: very!
I just love the nibbly texture the spices give this Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup, and the explosion of flavour I take pleasure in when I burst into a plump and juicy little spice seed that didn’t get pulvarized during the puréeing process. I am really happy with these flavours, the nutritive value, and the fact that there is virtually no fat in the entire soup. It must be served with a generous dollop of great homemade yogurt that is stirred into the mix as the tang compliments the taste experience.
Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup
A Canadian Foodie Original Recipe that will leave you warmed from head to toe in the cold Canadian Winter months.
- 1 tbsp . of fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp . of coriander seeds
- 2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 2 tsp . of yellow mustard seeds
- 10 grams or 4 cloves of garlic , peeled
- 135-150 grams or 1/2 large onion , chopped
- 10 g olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 19 ounce can or 375-400 grams of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- 1 28 ounce can or 800 grams of DOP tomatoes , not drained
- 200-400 grams organic chicken stock
- 2 red peppers , roasted, peeled, and seeded
- freshly ground pepper , to taste
Toast the first 4 ingredients in TM bowl for 4 minutes at 100°C on speed 2; remove and set aside
Weigh garlic and onion into TM bowl; chop for 3 seconds at speed 7
Scrape down sides of TM bowl and add toasted spices and weigh in olive oil; sauté for 3 minutes at 100°C on speed 2
Weigh in salt, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, and stock; cook at Varoma for 10 minutes on speed 2
Add roasted pepper and purée all for 30 seconds at speed 8, until desired consistency
Serve hot with a dollop of homemade yogurt