Asparagus and Gruyère Tart

Edgar Farms Asparagus with my own Homemade Gruyère

IMG_0171

Asparagus and Gruyère are a classic pairing and a scintillating savory Spring indulgence.

IMG_0168

Rainy days are perfect for pastry.

IMG_0173

I usually never cook with the cheese I make. It is just too precious, but this asparagus called for only the best!

IMG_0002

Cutting the boarder, not all the way through, but carefully with a very sharp knife is the best “trick” I have learned making puff pastry tarts; corners must meet.

IMG_0005

Making two, the spring form tart pan was the perfect second option for comparison.

IMG_0007

The classic recipe calls for Dijon mustard to be spread on the bottom… but, I live in Alberta and the Brassica Mustard company makes the best mustards in the province. They would rival any world class mustard, and the fact that I chose to use this one over Dijon speaks volumes about its savory flavor. The texture adds a brilliant titillating tidbit to each bite. It is flavourful: a little goes a long way.

IMG_0010IMG_0018IMG_0022IMG_0024

Ensure there is none on the crust.

IMG_0036IMG_0038IMG_0039IMG_0052IMG_0076IMG_0109

Again, very important to have nothing on the crust but the egg wash. Below, tart numero duo.

IMG_0112IMG_0135IMG_0137

The old adage that “simple is best” is exemplified in this unforgettable culinary masterpiece: pastry, asparagus, mustard, cheese and thyme. Each ingredient must be the best possible and you can see how extraordinarily easy this is to make. The presentation almost emoted a fluidity in the French language I have yearned for… but not yet mastered.

IMG_0151IMG_0163

It is gorgeous. It is effortless. It is a feast of flavour. It is a Spring tradition.

IMG_0190IMG_0198IMG_0208IMG_0213

Asparagus and Gruyère Tart

Ingredients:

• 375g pack puff pastry (President’s Choice brand is made with read butter)
  • 1 bunch thin/medium asparagus (approximately 18 spears)
  • 2 level teaspoons Dijon or 1 tablespoon of Grainy Brassica Mustard
  • 150g Gruyère, grated (the medium Sylvan Star Gruyère is award winning and perfect if you don’t make your own, or the Swiss award winning Emmi Kaltbach Le Gruyère, AOC if you live elsewhere)
  • A few sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400˚F
  2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to a rectangle measuring about 23cm x 35cm and place on a large, greased baking sheet
  3. With a knife, lightly score a 2cm border around the edge of the pastry
  4. Wash the asparagus, trimming off ends, leaving each spear about 18cm or 7 inches long
  5. Carefully spread the mustard over the inner rectangle of the pastry, sprinkle the grated Gruyère, over it and arrange the trimmed asparagus spears evenly on top
  6. Pull the leaves off the thyme and scatter over the tart
  7. Brush the border of the tart with a little beaten egg, place in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until the asparagus spears are cooked through, the tart is golden and the cheese is bubbly
  8. Remove the cooked tart from the oven and season with a little freshly ground black pepper; serve immediately

IMG_0193

Comments

1. says

Valerie, this looks simply delicious! I am going to have to try this, what with all the beautiful asparagus available this spring! Thanks for posting the recipe!

2. says

Your tart is a work of art, Valerie. :-) Seriously, I feel like I’ve been to a food gallery today. It makes me dream of Spring and France and lush gardens and sunshine and all those good things. :-)

• Valerie Lugonja says

Krista!
      Wonderful! That is exactly how I felt pulling it out of the oven. So happy that translated to you!
      XO
      V

3. says

What a beautiful tart, Valerie! I really need to try this and wish I had some homemade gruyere for it :). Your photos are wonderfull! New camera?

• Valerie Lugonja says

It is a lovely and very simple recipe, Susan: a French Classic. Thanks – no new camera, but I am learning to use it better.
      ;0
      V

• Valerie Lugonja says

Karlynn,
      So funny that you posted about the mustard, I was making the tart, and of course, substituted this incredible concoction for the Dijon in the classic recipe! Great minds think alike.
      XO
      V

• Valerie Lugonja says

Liesel,
      Let me know how it goes! So simple; so delicious!
      Hope you have the same experience!
      Valerie

4. says

This looks amazing! So simple and delicious and totally worthy of your homemade cheese! We just tasted our Gruyere today and I’ll be posting about it later :)

5. Ragan says

This was absolutely delicious! I was able to watch it be made and got the luxury of tasting it! The mustard was subtle as was the thyme, but both needed. This was by far, the best savoury tart I have ever eaten!

6. Teresa says

Wow Val…this post totally made my mouth water…have to make myself one of these as soon as I get my hands on some of this asparagus!

Happy Wednesday!
    Teresa

• Valerie Lugonja says

Devaki
      This was an “Ode to Spring” on a plate. Simple and so yummy. Thanks for stopping by.
      V

7. says

I made a thin pizza that combines asparagus, ham and gruyère. It is so yum! Nice that you are using your own cheese for your tart.